Wednesday 4 July 2007

Oneirocritica.


Interest in the analysis of dreams goes back to antiquity.  Despite this, such analysis has not yet benefited from the scientific method, which explains my normal disinterest in discussions of dreams.

However ... I came across this poster for the Saint Petersburg Zoological Gardens (in a crate of materials from the Rodina), and I could find no other explanation for it than "A Dream Inspired after a Late Night of Caledon and Whisky".

The caption: "1903 г. С.П.Б. Зоологическiй Садъ"
("S.P.B. Zoologic Gardens")

I defy anyone to look at this poster, and not find themselves, or some personal interest, depicted.  Look -- isn't that Mr Pearse there in the back row?

До свидания! Dasvidanya!

4 comments:

Amber_Palowakski said...

Yes! I see Sir Edward! And I see myself there to!

Eva Bellambi said...

Wickedly funny, my dear. Even as I sit here in my hotel room in Finland waiting for the service personnel to arrive to make some repairs, I find myself laughing at all the Caledonians I find in this latest posting from you.

Thanks!

Kate Nicholas, F.R.S. said...

Finland? You mean the country that is terribly close to the Rodina? Within touring distance of St Petersburg?

Oh, please tell me that you're not going to St Petersburg ... or I will be jealous :)

Eva Bellambi said...

Dear Lady Kate -
Now that I have returned from Finland, I am sad to report that I did not make it to St. Petersburg....visa issues...like not enough time to get one. (sigh)
But I did enjoy the company of several Russians while traveling in Helsinki.
You really should travel there someday.